Friday, December 2, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH ACTOR TIM MATHESON

Today I have the immense pleasure of welcoming a very special guest, actor Tim Matheson, to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS for an interview. Tim has acted in many motion pictures over the years such as DIVORCE AMERICAN STYLE, YOURS, MINE AND OURS, MAGNUM FORCE, DREAMER [my review of the film can be found here] NATIONAL LAMPOON’S ANIMAL HOUSE, FLETCH, 1941, and MIDNIGHT HEAT, to name but a few examples from his extensive filmography. In this interview Tim will be discussing his role in DREAMER, acting, television, and his experience with ten-pin bowling in the movie.

Welcome to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS Tim!

Athan: When did you first realize that you wanted to be an actor?

Tim: I have wanted to be an actor as early as I could remember. Luckily, I grew up in Los Angeles, which was the center of the TV & Motion Picture industry. When I entered the 7th Grade, I started auditioning for small parts and commercials through the agent of a friend and landed a job on my second audition.

*

Athan: Where did you study acting?

Tim: At first I was mostly self study. Then I started taking some classes. As I got older, I realized my limitations and immersed myself in Stanislavsky, Shakespeare, Improv, Vocal lessons, dance, plus numerous other types of classes that were around Hollywood. Some were better than others.

*

Athan: Your performance as Harold ‘Dreamer’ Nuttingham in DREAMER was a splendid interpretation of a young man going for his dreams, and attaining what he sought in life with determination, and integrity. What it is that drew you to the part of Dreamer?

Tim: I love sports movies. And, this was my first chance to star in a movie, so that was exciting. I find sports and acting to be very similar: pressure, technique, performance on cue, and the team effort by all of those on the crew and the team.

*

Athan: DREAMER had an excellent cast with yourself, Susan Blakely, and Jack Warden as the main focus in the movie. What was it like working with these performers?

Tim: I had known and worked with Jack before on JIGSAW JOHN, a series that he had done.  He was so easy and smart about acting, and open about discussing the process with me. He was an early mentor of mine and helped me enormously. Susan Blakely was a lovely partner and fun to be around. Always very positive and professional.

*

Athan: What did you find most exciting about making DREAMER?

Tim: I think the most fun thing was working with my Pro Bowling coaches to try to get it right. Dick Weber and Nelson Burton Junior were big helpers, and spent long hours training me, and telling me about being on the road in tournaments, how some bowlers tried to cheat by “doctoring” their bowling balls, etc. And, like most athletes they were very competitive and did their best to psych out the other players to throw them off of their game.

*

Athan: For you, what was the most demanding, but emotionally satisfying segment of filming DREAMER?

Tim: I think working on my first film as the lead actor in a starring role placed a lot of pressure on me.  I was aware of the responsibility that I had: to the cast, crew, studio, and to myself. I worked extra hard to try to make it believable that I could really bowl that well, and to make the relationships with the other characters deeply personal and real.

*

Athan: Have you kept in contact with any cast members and crew from DREAMER?

Tim: I see Susan Blakely occasionally in Los Angeles, but otherwise I haven’t been in touch with the other actors. An actor’s life is very like a vagabond's: you get very close to the other actors and crew while on the show, but then careers take everyone in different directions, and you often don’t see those people again for years and years.

*

Athan: DREAMER was directed by Noel Nosseck, who also directed the motion pictures BEST FRIENDS, LAS VEGAS LADY, YOUNGBLOOD, and KING OF THE MOUNTAIN. What was it like being directed by Mr Nosseck in DREAMER?

Tim: Noel was very supportive to me as an actor. Our only differences were about the tone of the movie: I wanted it to be more blue collar, realistic and dramatic like THIS SPORTING LIFE with Richard Harris, or THE HUSTLER with Paul Newman. I think Noel and the studio wanted it to be lighter, sweeter, and more conventional. I think it would have worked better if had had rougher edges.

*

Athan: Aside from cinema, you have also acted in scores of television shows over the years, with LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, MY THREE SONS, HERE’S LUCY, POLICE STORY, and more recently THE GOLDBERGS, EVIL, and HART OF DIXIE. What is the main striking difference for you between film, and television?

Tim: In my youth, television was lighter, simpler, cheaper and more disposable. By that I mean it was done as quickly and cheaply as possible, and the content limited severely by Network broadcast standards.  As for films, they were more adventurous, edgier, and more artistic. Risks were being taken in Independent movies, and I longed to become more involved in those types of projects: ANIMAL HOUSE was my first breakthrough in more dangerous and riskier material.  However, today, television is more on par with riskier, cutting edge type material and movies have become more formulaic and commercialized. The most interesting and dangerous shows typically now are on TV (streaming or cable).

*

Athan: For DREAMER you undertook intensive training for bowling, which was evident in the expertise with which you handled all your bowling scenes in the movie. For how long did you train in preparation for your bowling sequences?

Tim:  I worked out for about 4-5 weeks before we started shooting, and I kept working constantly during production. My thumb was so torn up by constant bowling, but I learned that all of the pros suffered such injuries, and just put Liquid Bandage over the injury and kept bowling.

*

Athan: Do you have any upcoming projects of which you would like to tell readers?

Tim: I am doing a wonderful show called VIRGIN RIVER for Netflix. It’s the story of an idyllic small town in Northern California. It’s a place where many people have come to start over after failures in their personal lives, professional lives, and to get away from the pressure and intensity of Urban living.  It’s a place where being in a town surrounded by the wilderness brings comfort, renewal and peace; and a chance to create more rewarding relationships with neighbors and friends than one usually finds in the City lifestyle.

*

Thank you so much today for your time Tim, and for the insight you have provided into the art of acting, DREAMER, cinema, television, and ten-pin bowling. It has been wonderful having you on CINEMATIC REVELATIONS. You are welcome to return whenever you wish.

*

Tim Matheson links

+Tim Matheson IMDb Actor Page

+DREAMER movie IMDb page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.