Tuesday, October 5, 2021

INTERVIEW WITH ACTOR ROBERT F. LYONS

I have the immense pleasure today of welcoming a very special guest, actor Robert F. Lyons, to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS for an interview. Robert has acted in many motion pictures over the years, including PENDULUM, GETTING STRAIGHT [My review of the film can be found here] THE TODD KILLINGS, DEATH WISH II, AVENGING ANGEL, 10 TO MIDNIGHT, MURPHY’S LAW, THE OMEGA CODE, and DEADLY EXCHANGE, to name a few examples. In this interview Robert will be discussing his part in GETTING STRAIGHT, acting, The Actors Studio, Stella Adler Studio of Acting, television, and his role as acting coach.

 
Welcome to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS Robert!

Athan: When did you first realize that you wanted to be an actor?
 
Robert: Great question for me, I never thought about it at all. I just sort of knew that that was what I wanted to do & be as a teen and stated it and my parents supported my decision - so after high school I went to NYC - so, it was more of me just knowing what I was going to do - I did not like school and any 9 to 5 did not grab my interest - acting was it.
 
*
 
Athan: You are a Life Member of the Actors Studio, where many exceptional actors have studied over the years, and also studied at the Stella Adler Studio of Acting. What was it like working there with acting teachers such as Lee Strasberg and Stella Adler?

 
Robert: It had been a goal to be a member of the Studio - like wow - Dean & Brando had been there and so many other great actors - I finally auditioned and Lee accepted me - I saw a lot of wonderful teaching by the moderators mostly at the Studio. That was different with Stella, she was an amazing teacher, a person so dynamic so demanding and very clear on her statements to me on my acting - I had already been doing stage, TV & Movies when I studied with Stella so what she had to say was at the top of my learning and it made great sense - a lift up. See, I had always studied acting even after working a lot - Milton Kaselas was also a wonderful teacher - I loved working out and taking on bigger and or challenging parts, stretch my acting, my knowledge and go into areas demanding a bigger part of myself so as to grow some more.
 
*
 
Athan: Your performance in GETTING STRAIGHT as the charismatic, psychologically complex Nick, who gave Elliot Gould’s Harry Bailey more than a few problems, was wonderful. How did you become involved in this production?

 
Robert: Richard Rush's secretary saw my performance in the film: Pendulum and loved my work and helped promote me to Rush and often - I got to audition & on the 2nd audition it was with Elliott Gould & we worked well together and did a dynamic scene in his office. Later I got a call to come to Oregon and was given the role of Nick.
 
*
 
Athan: What did you find most exciting about the experience of making GETTING STRAIGHT?
 
Robert: It was my 2nd feature film, I was thrilled, realizing somewhat that I'm living my dream and fulfilling some acting goals - working with other actors - getting a deeper understanding of acting with myself and how to use myself more - that's the shorter answer.
 
*
 
Athan: For you, what was the most demanding, but emotionally satisfying segment of filming GETTING STRAIGHT?

 
Robert: There's a long scene later in the film 4 minutes plus long - I found how to do something, you know, make something work, acting wise that was very hard for me to do as an actor in this scene. I put demands on myself for that scene.

*
 
Athan: Have you kept in contact with any cast members and crew from GETTING STRAIGHT?
 
Robert: No, not really. I run into one or two once in a while - but that's what it is like in most films. You get to make friends and go on - it is very exciting to meet new people and get to know one another very fast and get along and do work together of this type - exciting when it works out.
 
*
 
Athan: GETTING STRAIGHT was directed by Richard Rush, who also directed many other movies such as PSYCO-OUT, FREEBIE AND THE BEAN, THE STUNT MAN, and COLOR OF NIGHT. What was it like being directed by Mr Rush in GETTING STRAIGHT?


Robert: Richard said something to me on my first scene, during our rehearsal and it gave me an idea that put a main character color there for me - I was grateful - he knew how to talk to actors as I saw it.
 
*
 
Athan: Apart from cinema, you have appeared in many television shows and telemovies. What for you are the main differences between acting in feature films, and acting on television?


Robert: Less time to do any research so you have to be faster on the study part if it is needed - but you bring to the role what you can in the time you have to create it - there is no difference you hope, in your quality - I strive to have my personal standard always present - I don't like to walk through a part or think what I'm doing, is not good or important to the scene, play, etc. no matter if is stage, TV or film. After all, it is your work - I learned that one is doing a film and you have to get it right after a while you know yourself better too and what you are capable of creating and pulling it off well - like anything in life, the better you understand it the higher the quality should be, I think, anyway.
 
*
 
Athan: You made your film debut in 1969 in PENDULUM, with GETTING STRAIGHT being your second movie. Your last released movie thus far has been DEADLY EXCHANGE in 2017. What for you are the most striking differences between filmmaking in the early 1970s, and today?

 
Robert: For me it is mostly the writing - you have cameras, crew, actors, directors, etc. those things have to be there to make film - the attitude and quality of all combined makes the project as a whole, work or it is a lousy piece of work.
 
*
 
Athan: You have been an acting coach for many years in Los Angeles. What is it about coaching students in acting that gives you the most satisfaction?


Robert: Seeing a person grow with their chosen art form.

*
 
Athan: Do you have any upcoming projects of which you would like to tell readers?
 
Robert: Not presently on the acting front - one that hasn't been released yet but I'll hold the title until I get the news on it. I will be doing more acting that is for sure. Writing too, I sold a screenplay some years back & have written others & 2 are ready to film - now to find the right production people to get it into production.
 
*
 
Thank you so much today for your time Robert, and for the insight you have provided into the art of acting, The Actors Studio, The Stella Adler Studio, GETTING STRAIGHT, television, cinema, and your role as an acting coach. It has been a joy to have you on CINEMATIC REVELATIONS. You are welcome to return whenever you wish.
 
Robert: Thank you and all the best to you.

*

Robert F. Lyons links





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.