Monday, February 7, 2022

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR ACTOR DAVID ZOOEY HALL ABOUT I DISMEMBER MAMA

I am very happy today to welcome back actor David Zooey Hall to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS for a new feature on the blog, ‘Five Questions’. David has been on the blog previously elaborating about his part as Rocky in FORTUNE AND MEN’S EYES and many other topics; the interview is here. In this post David here will be discussing his role as Albert Robertson in I DISMEMBER MAMA [my review of the film can be found here] which was an excellent interpretation of a troubled, psychopathic young man with many layers. 

Welcome back to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS David!

Athan: Your acting in I DISMEMBER MAMA, as with all your performances, was infused with a reality, and depth, that made Albert utterly compelling to watch. Despite his heinous actions, one still felt a sympathy for Albert, which is a mark of thoughtful acting. What was it that drew you to taking on this part?

David: According to Paul Leder (Director) he saw my photo in the Players Directory, contacted me and offered me the part when we met in person & I said “Ok.”

*

Athan: Albert was a character involved in many heavy sequences throughout the movie which provided a thorough insight into his shattered state of mind. Which were the scenes that, for you, were the most challenging emotionally to film in I DISMEMBER MAMA?

David: There were a couple. One was having to kiss Geri Reischl, who played Annie in the film. Geri was very sweet, kind & talented. And about to receive her very first kiss in reel life as well as in real life. And was apprehensive about it. I never asked her how old she was. But I guessed she hadn’t reached the double digits yet. And all I could think of was: “Don’t screw this up for her – it’s her first kiss & all.” I have a sister I adore in real life. And have always felt protective of. That’s what the kiss was: not the character I was portraying, but me, as a person, extending a protective gesture to Geri, my sweet partner in the scene we were playing – in the form of a kiss.

*

Athan: Paul Leder was the director of many feature films, ranging from comedy in MARIGOLD MAN, adventure epic APE, murder suspense in THE BABY DOLL MURDERS, and the comedic zaniness of THE WACKY ADVENTURES OF DR. BORIS AND NURSE SHIRLEY. What was it like working with Mr Leder on I DISMEMBER MAMA?

David: He was wonderful. The first day of shooting Paul was explaining to me the first shot that was about to take place. Cigarette in his right hand. All of a sudden in mid sentence he begins to tilt to the left and then his long frame suddenly hurtles across the room …  hits the wall in front of him – and crumples to the floor. He hits the wall with such force that his glasses fly from his face, and the cigarette he’s smoking flies out of his hand to the right. Then he starts groping on the floor to the right for the cigarette, which he somehow puts his right hand on. Then, with his left hand he locates his glasses. Then he somehow gathers himself up, crosses back to me on the other side of the room – and picks up the conversation we were having exactly & precisely where he left it. Then, after taking a big drag on the cigarette still smoking, he says to me: “Don’t worry about what just happened. Its just a little Vertigo that comes on from time to time. Nothin’ to worry about.” I remember thinking at this exact moment: “This is going to be interesting.”

*

Athan: Have you kept in contact with any cast members or crew from I DISMEMBER MAMA?

David: Actually, I kept in touch with Paul’s wife, Etyl. She worked at a Drug store in Hollywood. And whenever I was in the area, I’d stop in & visit Etyl.

*

Athan: While I DISMEMBER MAMA was serious in tone, glitches and fun moments can abound on movie sets. Was there a humorous time during filming that you remember with fondness? 

David: That would have to be my answer to question #1. Whenever I’ve thought about that first exchange with Paul Leder, the first day of shooting - it makes me smile. Glad I had the chance to work with him.

*

It has been a pleasure having you again on the blog David, and I thank you for giving readers a further understanding of the complex, charismatic Albert Robertson, and, in turn, I DISMEMBER MAMA. You are always welcome to return whenever you wish.

David Zooey Hall links

*David Zooey Hall IMDB page

*I DISMEMBER MAMA IMDb movie page

*The Actor’s Sanctuary homepage


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.