Sunday, April 17, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH ACTOR MALCOLM DANARE

Today I have the immense pleasure of welcoming a very special guest, actor Malcolm Danare, to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS for an interview. Malcolm has acted in many motion pictures over the years such as FLASHDANCE, CHRISTINE, THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE [my review of the film can be found here] NATIONAL LAMPOON’S EUROPEAN VACATION, INDEPENDENCE DAY, GODZILLA, and AMERICAN JUSTICE, to name a few examples. He has also been involved in filmmaking in the capacity of producer, with a film in post-production at the moment. In this interview Malcolm will be discussing his role in THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE, acting, his producing work, and voice acting.

Welcome to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS Malcolm!

Athan: When did you first realize that you wanted to be an actor?

Malcolm: I had always been somewhat of a ‘ham-bone’ in high school. I liked to make people laugh. The first time I acted in front of an audience was in a talent show at school. The fellow I acted with was named Richard. We did a scene from Monty Python. It was the ‘dead parrot skit’. We came in first place! That was the first time I realized what a thrill it was to memorize lines and actually act them out. I knew at that point, I ‘might’ have what it takes to pursue this thing they call “ACTING!

*

Athan: Where did you study acting?

Malcolm: There was a brief moment that I studied at, The Lee Strasberg Institute. Then realized that most of the students that were there, were a whole lot more driven and dedicated than me, so I quit. When I graduated high school, I wanted to get a job, so I started working at a small clothing store called Miller’s Outpost. About four months of working there, I received a phone call from my father. He said that he had met a gentleman who had broken down in his rent-a-car. My father at the time owned a taxi cab company. So, as he was driving one of his cabs back to the garage, he noticed a man on the side of the road (SUNSET BOULEVARD) flagging him down. My father drove over and helped the man. The man said, “Can you please take me to Paramount Studios, I’m already 30 minutes late”. As the two started chatting in the cab, my father asked the man, “what did he do for a living?” The man said, I’m a director and I’m here in Los Angeles for a few days, casting a movie. My father instantaneously said, “My son’s an actor”! My father was referring the talent show I had done in high school and the two months of studying I did at the Strasberg Institute. The gentleman asked to see a picture of me, my father showed him and the gentleman said, “I would like to meet your son”. The gentleman who broke down in in car was, FRANC RODDAM, director of The Lords of Discipline.

*

Athan: Your performance as Poteete in THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE was one of its finest assets, a stunning portrayal of a young military student under tremendous strain in extraordinary circumstances. What it is that drew you to the part of Poteete?

Malcolm: What drew me to the role of Poteete, is the belief that Franc Roddam had in me playing that amazing role. I had never acted in front of a camera before, I thought that it would be terrifying, little did I know, it would be the single most exciting thing I would ever do. Even to this day, I love hearing the word “ACTION”!

*

Athan: THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE had a strong cast including David Keith, Ric Rossovich, Mitchell Lichtenstein, Michael Biehn, and Robert Prosky. What was it like working with these performers?

Malcolm: I remember during the audition period of LOD, all the different actors coming in to audition for particular roles. As far as I know, I might have been the first actor cast. Because I had no agent or manager, I constantly had to keep in touch with the casting director. Who is the great Ellen Chenowith. As the weeks went by, I had to audition with several different actors auditioning for the role of Will McLean. Michael Biehn was first choice of Franc’s from the second I was brought on. So, after the fame and popularity of ‘Officer and a Gentleman’, David Keith was set on to play the lead role. I loved working with David Keith and Michael Biehn. Both wonderful actors.

*

Athan: What did you find most exciting about the experience of making THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE?

Malcolm: I loved working in the United Kingdom. It was a three-month shoot. One of the things I loved the most about working in London England was that 80 percent of my family lived there. So, after a hard day of shooting, I would go to a relative’s house, instead of the hotel. I also met my first girlfriend at the time, Shelley.

*

Athan: You had many intense scenes in THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE which were riveting to witness. For you, what was the most demanding, but emotionally satisfying segment of filming THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE?

Malcolm: The two scenes I remember like they were shot yesterday are… When, PIG, Rick Rossovich beats the living hell out of me and WILL, David Keith tells me that, “I have to be a man, if I want to stay in the institute”. FYI? That was the first time I had ever acted in front of a camera, doing that particular scene. The second scene I remember well is, being on the ledge of a three-story building. There was a lot of dialogue that needed to be said and a whole lot of concentrating not to fall off. Ps… there was scaffolding below, we were always safe.

*

Athan: Have you kept in contact with any cast members and crew from THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE?

Malcolm: I have always stayed in touch with the wonderful, FRANC RODDAM. He will always be my mentor and hero. He gave me my break and I’ll never forget that! Whenever I am in the UK we get together, he took me out for my 55th birthday a few years back. I speak with Michael Biehn every so often and even Judge Reinhold.

*

Athan: THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE was directed by Franc Roddam in his second directorial effort, also helming QUADROPHENIA, ARIA, THE BRIDE, WAR PARTY, and K2. What was it like being directed by Mr Roddam in THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE?

Malcolm: Franc is a sensational director. He knows how to work with an actor, to get out of them exactly what he needs for the scene and the film itself. There are many directors I have worked with the love camera angles, weird lighting. Franc Roddam knows what he wants and Franc knows how to get it!!

*

Athan: You have acted in the capacity of producer on several movies over the years such as THE TAKER, AMELIA 2.0, and currently on CHASTISE. Which film so far has given you the most satisfaction in terms of being producer?

Malcolm: I really do love all of them. There is a certain satisfaction of producing a film and then seeing it on the screen. There is an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.

*

Athan: One of the reasons Poteete is so vivid to watch in THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE is in part due to the use of his voice, which alternately expresses a gamut of emotions such as fear, sadness, and apprehension. You have been a voice actor on many television productions such as Ever After High. What is it that you most love about being a voice actor?

Malcolm: I absolutely love voice over work. It’s interesting, I’m always playing young people. I guess that’s because I have a high voice. Even at the age of 59, when I’m on the phone with someone I don’t know, like a phone company rep, or a representative from my bank, they will still say, “one moment Mrs”.

*

Athan: Do you have any upcoming projects of which you would like to tell readers?

Malcolm: I have two television projects that I have written and will be producing. I also have two features that we are shopping.

*

Thank you so much today for your time Malcolm, and for the insight you have provided into the art of acting, THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE, cinema, production, and being a voice actor. It has been wonderful having you on CINEMATIC REVELATIONS. You are welcome to return whenever you wish.

*

Malcolm Danare links

*Malcolm Danare IMDb Actor Page

*THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE movie IMDb page

*Malcolm Danare Instagram page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.