Thursday, December 23, 2021

INTERVIEW WITH ACTOR RUSSELL TODD

Today I have the immense pleasure of welcoming a very special guest, actor Russell Todd, to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS for an interview. Russell has acted in many motion pictures over the years such as HE KNOWS YOU’RE ALONE, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART TWO, WHERE THE BOYS ARE [my review of the film can be found here] CHOPPING MALL, and BORDER SHOOTOUT, to name a few examples. In this interview Russell will be discussing his part in WHERE THE BOYS ARE, acting, television, modeling, and his role in the Russell Todd Agency (RTA).

Welcome to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS Russell!

Athan: When did you first realize that you wanted to be an actor?

Russell:  I can recall as a boy of 7 years getting a director’s chair with my name on it and pretending I was an actor on a set waiting to work. I thought maybe one day it would come true if I kept thinking about it. I also wanted to be a film director but followed the acting bug instead.

*

Athan: You studied acting at The Actors Studio with Lee Strasberg in New York City where actors such as James Dean, Jane Fonda, Paul Newman, Ellen Burstyn, Al Pacino, Marilyn Monroe, and Eli Wallach, to name several performers, have also been students. What was it like to have studied with Mr Strasberg?

Russell: I actually studied with Lee Strasberg himself in a group class environment. It was very exciting to be so young and working and learning with Lee but also very intimidating. He was very serious and would let you know if you weren’t up to his expectations in a scene. I don’t recall who the other actors were in the class but I would bet one or more of them became well known.

*

Athan: Your performance in WHERE THE BOYS ARE as the passionate, dynamic Scott Nash, who captures the heart of Lisa Hartman’s Jennie Cooper, was excellent. How did you become involved in this production?

Russell: Funny Hollywood story. I would get my hair cut by a man named Jerry Esposito and Jerry would hang the 8X10 photos of his clients that were actors by the mirror. The producer of that movie, Allan Carr, got his hair cut there as well and noticed my photo. He was about to cast WTBA 84. He told Jerry “That’s going to be my next star!” I was called in for a few auditions opposite Lisa Hartman and got the part. Soon I was off to Ft. Lauderdale where we shot the film. You never know what may happen in your career based on location and timing and this was a perfect example of things lining up perfectly.

*

Athan: Your pairing with Lisa Hartman in WHERE THE BOYS ARE was one of the movie’s brightest spots, a romance with a subtle chemistry that was keenly felt. Daniel McDonald’s part as your romantic rival also contributed to making this the film’s best love story. What was it like working with both Lisa Hartman, and Daniel McDonald in this onscreen love triangle?

Russell: I loved working with both of them. They were very down to earth, humorous and silly. We laughed a great deal which makes shooting any project very enjoyable and memorable.  We all had a nice, close bond on and off the set. Lisa and I would often head to the gym and workout together when we were not on set. I stayed in touch with Lisa for awhile and unfortunately Dan passed away from brain cancer.  

*

Athan: What did you find most exciting about the experience of making WHERE THE BOYS ARE?

Russell: As a young boy and in my teenage years I often visited Ft. Lauderdale because my grandparents lived there. The idea of going there as an adult to shoot a movie was amazing and so fulfilling.  Being there, filled with memories, was the best part.  

*

Athan: For you, what was the most demanding, but emotionally satisfying segment of filming WHERE THE BOYS ARE?

Russell: My favorite scene, and most demanding, was the concert I give where I sing “Jennie” to Lisa’s character. We had worked on that song for quite awhile. To perform in front of all of those people was a hoot. I was lucky enough to have my parents in the audience as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the technical aspects of putting that concert scene together as well as the performing of the song multiple times for various angles. I will always cherish that moment.

*

Athan: Have you kept in contact with any cast members and crew from WHERE THE BOYS ARE?

Russell: Lisa and I stayed in touch for a bit, but other than her, no. Everyone goes on their own way to new projects or life experiences and it’s common to just move on after a short working experience together.

*

Athan: WHERE THE BOYS ARE was directed by Hy Averback, notable for also helming other comedy films such as THE GREAT BANK ROBBERY, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT? and SUPPOSE THEY GAVE A WAR AND NOBODY CAME. What was it like being directed by Mr Averback in WHERE THE BOYS ARE?

Russell: He was a very kind and humble guy. I thought it odd a man with his credits was going to direct a silly beach comedy with a young cast. Strange casting to me but he was very good and made the actors feel very comfortable.

*

Athan: Apart from cinema, you have appeared in many prime-time television shows. You also notably starred in television daytime serial Another World for three years in the role of Jamie Frame. What for you were the main differences between acting in feature films, and on television?

Russell: TV acting can be broader than film because of the obvious reason when you are on the big screen your facial expressions are gigantic and you need to bring it in more or you look ridiculous. You can do a great deal with very little expression or movement on the big screen. Regarding the script, when shooting a film you do a few pages per day where on a soap opera we did an entire script and episode each day. The memorizing was endless. The soap was also a 3 camera setup always where film is usually an “A” and “B” camera.

*

Athan: You modeled for several years with the Zoli Agency before acting. In which manner did you find that modeling was of assistance with onscreen acting?

Russell:  Modeling gives you a great awareness of your body. Being photographed for many years gave me confidence and a feeling of comfort with being observed and performing. Even though there is no actual dialogue during a modeling shoot you are still running motivations and story inside your head to fit the clothing and the particulars of the shoot. If you have nothing running through your head as you are being photographed then the look will be blank and useless. Keep a dialogue running and it keeps you alive to the camera.

*

Athan: You have been involved for many years behind the scenes in the Russell Todd Agency, which represents Steadicam, and Camera Operators in the United States, and internationally. What is it that you find most exciting about this?

Russell: I love what I do, representing steadicam and camera operators around the world.  I found this niche by accident and have loved the business over the 21 years of my company. Every day and every deal is different and I have loved negotiating for my clients and getting improved rates and conditions for them. Going to the movie theatre and watching the trailers I often see three or four films that I placed my clients on and that's very rewarding. Same goes with the TV. So many series have hired my clients and it always makes me smile to see their credit pass by. I think once having an agent myself makes me a better agent, understanding the needs of my clients and the relationship between us.

*

Athan: Do you have any upcoming projects of which you would like to tell readers?

Russell:  No acting projects are planned. I left acting about 23 years ago to do what I am doing now.  Having said that, if I were offered an acting job and found it interesting and challenging, I would definitely entertain the idea. Never say never!

*

Thank you so much today for your time Russell, and for the insight you have provided into the art of acting, WHERE THE BOYS ARE, cinema, modeling, television, and your role in the Russell Todd Agency. It has been wonderful having you on CINEMATIC REVELATIONS. You are welcome to return whenever you wish.

Thanks so much Athan! Happy holidays and happy New Year! Stay well!

Best,

Russell

*

Russell Todd links

+Russell Todd IMDb Actor Page

+WHERE THE BOYS ARE movie IMDb page

+Russell Todd Agency website


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.