Friday, August 27, 2021

INTERVIEW WITH ACTOR JOHN ORCSIK

Today I have the lovely pleasure of welcoming a very special guest, actor John Orcsik, to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS for an interview. John has acted in many motion pictures over the years, making his film debut in the NUMBER 96 movie [my review of the film can be found here] PETERSEN, THE MAN FROM HONG KONG, THE EDGE OF POWER, KOKODA CRESCENT, and, most recently in THE BBQ, to name a few films. In this interview John will be discussing his part in the NUMBER 96 movie, acting, television, and his role as founder and director of The Australian Film & Television Academy (TAFTA).

Welcome to CINEMATIC REVELATIONS John!

Athan: When did you first realize that you wanted to be an actor?

John: When I was about 6 or 7 years old.

*

Athan: Where did you study acting?

John: I didn’t. I began with an amateur theatre company in Perth, Western Australia and went to workshops and classes there. I read everything I could and tried to invoke “The Method”, but it really didn’t work for me. 

It actually didn’t make logical sense even though I’d read Stanislavski’s books several times.

I auditioned for NIDA in the mid 60’s and was accepted and even offered a scholarship but sadly my father got very sick and then died. And the course then was only two years full time.

During my father’s lengthy illness I was offered a role in a Shakespeare play at the then Playhouse Theatre. It was fully professional and the equivalent would be, say The Melbourne Theatre Company or the Sydney Theatre Company. So I began to work with professionals, some of whom were imported from England. My training therefore was on the job for about two years.

*

Athan: Your performance in the NUMBER 96 movie as businessman Simon Carr was a finely-drawn, perceptive portrait of a man confused about his sexuality, making Simon Carr a fascinating figure. You appeared in the first year of the serial, but left thereafter. How did it feel to be asked to star in the movie version of the program?

John: I didn’t want to do it. The offer came while I was shooting Petersen in Melbourne and when I read the script I thought that they “tinkered” with the character of Simon Carr. I foolishly thought that I had some kind of ownership on the character and wasn’t prepared to play it as written. That was pretty naïve of me.

And stupid. But I eventually agreed and have not regretted it one iota.

*

Athan: What did you find most exciting about the experience of making the NUMBER 96 movie?

John: Working at a pace I’d never worked before. The cast and Producers and Writers had all become my friends and it never seemed like “work”. I was to experience that again some years later when I joined the cast of Cop Shop. The camaraderie was incredible. I have many wonderful and fun stories during the show.

And even though I wasn’t a regular cast member of Number 96 it felt like I was.

*

Athan: For you, what was the most demanding, but emotionally satisfying segment of filming NUMBER 96 the movie?

John: Probably the infamous kiss. I’d never kissed a man before. Not like that.

Joe and I decided we wouldn’t talk about it. Not discuss it. I didn’t talk to anybody about it and come the day every Tom, Dick and Harry came on the set. It’s ridiculous to think now how much pressure that scene was beginning to place on myself and Joe. Then we just did it. The sky didn’t fall in. The earth didn’t tremble. I remember the Director called ,”CUT” and I just turned to Joe and said something like, “You should shave more closely,” which brought laughter and a round of applause from crew and the onlookers. And then sadly it was all over and I was looking to my next job.

*

Athan: In the NUMBER 96 movie there was an excellent confrontation scene between Simon Carr and Maggie Cameron, who was lamenting her loneliness, and lashed out in a drunken rage at Simon, Vera, and Don. How for you was it filming these emotionally heated scenes?

John: Bettina and I had become good friends as had Elaine and I and Joe.

During the series Bettina (Maggie) and I would often travel to Channel Ten together and we’d rehearse along the way and these scenes were a lot of fun.

*

Athan: Have you kept in contact with any cast members and crew from NUMBER 96?

John: Not really. Sadly most have passed away. Elaine, Bettina, Johnny Lockwood, and Joe married and moved to Indonesia where he still is. I think. Of course I worked with Joanna Lockwood for many years after in Cop Shop.

*

Athan: NUMBER 96 the movie was directed by Peter Benardos, who also directed the television version of NUMBER 96. What was it like being directed by Mr Benardos in the NUMBER 96 movie?

John: Peter was the perfect director for a fast turn-around series and when it came to the movie he was the perfect choice. No nonsense. No in-depth soul searching about where to go with a scene - Just do it. A principle that has stayed with me since. 

I loved working with him and Producer Bob Huber who became a very close friend.

*

Athan: Apart from motion pictures, you have appeared in many television shows and telemovies over the years. What for you are the main differences between acting in feature films, and acting on television?

John: Pace. The speed at which things are done. In films you probably shot three to four minutes of screen time on average but in a TV Series like Number 96 or Cop Shop you probably shoot 13 to 18 minutes of screen time in a day. The attention to small details is the key in a film. On all levels not just performance.

*

Athan: You have been an acting coach for many years, being the founder, and director of The Australian Film & Television Academy (TAFTA), which began in 1994 on the Gold Coast, Australia, and has grown to Melbourne, Sydney, and Adelaide. What is it about coaching students in acting that gives you the most satisfaction?

John: Watching them grow, develop and become aware of their talents. Also their ultimate success and we have had many. 

*

Athan: Do you have any upcoming projects of which you would like to tell readers?

John: I am waiting on COVID to die down somewhat and I have two exciting new Australian plays that I am going to Act in and Direct. They are called REAL and Sharaf written by Michael Griffiths.

*

Thank you so much today for your time John, and for the understanding you have provided into the art of acting, the NUMBER 96 movie, television, cinema, and your role as an acting coach. It has been wonderful having you on CINEMATIC REVELATIONS. You are welcome to return whenever you wish.

*

John Orcsik links

+John Orcsik IMDb Actor Page

+NUMBER 96 movie IMDb page

+John Orcsik Official TAFTA Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.